As the inaugural Chair, since 2008, Dr. Nazilla Khanlou has set-up and led the Office of Women’s Health Research Chair in Mental Health at York University.
The Office aims to promote community-based research on women’s mental health and well-being. We focus on identifying risk factors related to marginalized populations, and promote community-based approaches, prioritizing the involvement of community members in research.
Our goals are to
- Conduct interdisciplinary scholarship toward enhancing the mental health of Ontario’s and Canada’s women, children and youth
- To develop new models of faculty-student and faculty-faculty collaboration on scholarly initiatives
- To contribute to York University’s Faculty of Health’s advancement and initiatives from local to global levels.
We are pleased to share with you KT outcomes of our ongoing project titled “COVID-19 PANDEMIC GUIDELINES FOR MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT OF RACIALIZED WOMEN AT RISK OF GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE” (CIHR Knowledge Synthesis- 2020)
- Report COVID19 Pandemic guidelines for mental health support of racialized women at risk of GBV [PDF]
- Policy Brief COVID19 Pandemic guidelines [PDF]
- Information Brief GBV and COVID19 pandemic [PDF]
- Infographic GBV during COVID-19 [PDF]
- Toolkit GBV during COVID-19 [PDF]
York University Knowledge Webinar: Mothering In The Academia During A Pandemic.
New Publications and New Releases
- Khanlou N, Vazquez LM, Khan A, Orazietti B, & Ross G. (2022). Readers Theatre as an arts-based approach to education: A scoping review on experiences of adult learners and educators. Nurse Education Today. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2022.105440
- Khanlou, N., Nunes, F., Davidson, D., Seto Nielsen, L., Alamdar, N., Vazquez, LM. (2021). Information Sheet 17: Arts-based methodologies: Exploring Asian-Canadian youth identities and experiences. York University.
- Khanlou N, Vazquez LM, Pashang S, Connolly JA, Ahmad F, & Ssawe A. (2021). 2020 Syndemic: Convergence of COVID-19, gender-based violence, and racism pandemics. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Disparities. DOI: 10.1007/s40615-021-01146-w https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40615-021-01146-w
- Khanlou N, Ssawe A, S Zahraei, Connolly JA , Pashang S, Bohr Y, & Vazquez LM. Information Sheet 16: Gender-Based Violence and the COVID-19 Pandemic: Risk Factors and Systemic Challenges. Toronto, ON: York University. Info Sheet 16 GBV and COVID19 pandemic July 2020
- Khanlou N & Orazietti BE. (2020). Commentary: Nurses respond to COVID-19 pandemic: Mental health support for frontline nurses. Journal of Concurrent Disorders.
- Khanlou N. (2020). Commentary: Call for a Canadian Public Mental Health System: Transformative change amid a global pandemic. Journal of Concurrent Disorders.
- Filler T, Georgiadis K, Khanlou N, Wahoush O. (2019). Understanding identity and mental health from Syrian refugee adolescents’ perspectives. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction.
- Nyhof BB, Jameel B, Dunn S, Grace SL, Khanlou N, Stewart DE, Gagliardi AR. (2020). Identifying strategies to implement patient-centred care for women: Qualitative interviews with women. Patient Education & Counseling.